Tuesday, July 05, 2005

After I got home last week, sad though I am, I looked
up the height of the mountain we climbed. It was 225m
above sea level (if my map reading skills are working
ok) and my partner, Brian, advised that I couldn’t
really call that a mountain…oh well.

Nice to see a comment on here from Val. Think I need a
trip out to visit in order to get used to running in
the heat. I read in a magazine that it takes 7-14
days of continuous exposure to the heat in order to
get used to exercising in it. Herein lies my problem
– just as I nearly make it to the 14 days of
continuous exposure, the weather turns, gets cooler
and I’m right back where I started. Anyway, at least
I’m getting some altitude training in….

This week I missed my usual Thursday night run,
searching for some motivation (in the shape of a
mini-ipod) in Edinburgh. Eventually tracked one down
in club colours on the Friday and spent Friday evening
playing with my new toy.

Saturday we were back to warm weather. I persuaded
Brian to go fishing for an hour near East Linton, even
though conditions for fishing were poor and his hay
fever was even worse, in order that I could get a nice
5 mile run in.

Sunday was Pilates day. Recommended by my massage man
in order to build the core muscles and deal with my
hyper mobility. This is an interesting (well
annoying) condition I have. Basically my ligaments
are too flexible and don’t support the joints
properly. This means my joints don’t stabilise when
running and they can sort of pop out quite easily.
Haven’t had anything dislocate, just really annoying
clicking and uncomfortable feeling. I have to build
my muscles up more to better support the joints and
generally physios recommend Pilates for the job.
Pilates also causes pain in the stomach, waist and
inner thigh areas the following day, so must be doing
something worthwhile.

After Pilates I came home and went for a not too
scenic 6 mile run round the cement factory. The run
gets nicer as I head along Whitesands and then back
for the killer hill home. (Although I am lead to
believe some club runners like the hill up to my house
– similar to one of the hills in the Doon Hill race.
This is just one reason why I think I will stick to
marshalling at Doon Hill!)

Tonight was another East Lothian Summer Series run,
and for me the weather was much more favourable than
the run at Haddington. Cooler and with a breeze. The
route was very scenic along by the Esk, through trees
and parkland for the majority of the run and I did
enjoy the race. Tough though when getting passed by
lots of runners in the last few minutes, the pressure
is on to keep it up! One of the other club runners
had an interesting gadget on her arm – some GPS thing
that could tell how far we had run (4.4 miles
apparently). Thought that was one for the Christmas
list….or perhaps when I need another bought of
motivation!




___________________________________________________________
Yahoo! Messenger - NEW crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?