Thursday, July 14, 2005

Last Thursday was my first run with Sheila Morrison
for about a week. Luckily, she had been abstaining
from running her usual amount so we went for a “light
trot” up to Eweford, under the A1 up to Wester
Broomhouse and along the grass track to Bowerhouse and
back down to Belhaven Bay. A nice run of approx 6
miles, but the heat made it much more difficult.

Worse was to come!! On Saturday we had planned to meet
up early (to try to avoid the heat of the day) and go
for a 10 mile run at 9:00am. It was already 20
degrees. We ran from Belhaven up to Wester Broomhouse
and down past Dozy Dean. Then we walked up the hill
to Spott for a respite. We ran on through Spott and
up Daniel’s Brae – only the second time I’ve run all
the way up the hill. We continued on, turning left at
the bottom and running to Pitcox, before making our
way back along a gravel track beside the A1 along to
Eweford cottages and back to Belhaven. There were
quite a few walking respites along the way, and
because of this extra time it took, we had to have a
picnic back at Sheila’s – it felt like we had been
gone at least half a day!

Sunday I attended Pilates, but no running. Took to
sitting in the garden and sunning myself instead.

Tuesday night at club was also a bit of a disaster.
Temperature was about 26 degrees when we set off and I
think it was remarkable that we managed to keep going
for forty minutes. (Sheila, Lindsay and I) Sheila
has turned from being the teacher’s pet into the
school bully as she made me run down beside the burn
at West Barnes and I got stung over and over by
nettles. Sheila and Lindsay were running on ahead
saying “it’s not too bad, not overgrown up here at
all!” Hmmm, my legs would prove otherwise!

Tonight I have been out running Jog Scotland 5 km in
Edinburgh. Sheila Morrison and Fay Stanton were also
there. The route would be a lovely scenic jog through
Inverleith Park and the Botanic Gardens. Didn’t see
much of it as I had to focus on keeping going. The
route was what I would call undulating (and more
advance club runners would probably call it flat, but
that’s because they call Lasswade undulating rather
than mountainous!). Started too fast for me and ran
the first kilometre in 4mins 30 seconds. Went down
hill from there really (although I did beat Sheila to
the finish which is a first for me in a race). Had to
get that in as I don’t think the official times will
be accurate – the lanes to write down the numbers were
all moving at different speeds and I think Sheila
managed to catch me up in the lanes! Oh well. The
goody bag was very good, tonnes of food in it.

Next run on Saturday, hopefully it will be a bit
cooler than last week. Will run up Daniel’s Brae
again, in preparation for the East Lothian Summer
Series race on Tuesday. I need all the practise I can
get for that one!


___________________________________________________________
How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday
snaps for FREE with Yahoo! Photos http://uk.photos.yahoo.com


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?