Thursday, August 11, 2005

Big run was completed on Saturday. We ran from
Belhaven Bay through John Muir Country Park to the
North Berwick road, along the road and up to Lawhead,
stopping at the top of the hill for a well deserved
sports drink. We continued on and ran down onto the
Tyninghame to East Linton road, ran down to the Ford
and along by Knowes Farm, back onto the North Berwick
road, back into the country park and back along to
Belhaven running the route past the farms in the park.
We think it was about 13 miles, and only had one real
hill in it, so have identified a tougher 13 miler for
next weekend! As it’s now Thursday I am getting
slightly nervous about this….

On Sunday I went out on a training run with Brian –
running for 20 mins, walk 3 and repeat. Was quite a
good run, round from Belhaven to the farms in John
Muir Country Park and back to Belhaven. We were
running at quite a good pace. Following that I went
on for the weekly Pilates session. My cold was still
present on Sunday and I had nice scars on my leg
following a fall I had on Saturday’s run, a mile and a
half into the 13 miles.

I then had a couple of days off, Tuesday night was the
first club night that I’ve missed in ages and it was a
bit odd but I was resting for the East Lothian Summer
Series race in Haddington on the Wednesday night, and
used that as an excuse to meet one of my friends for a
drink in Edinburgh.

Brian went out for 25 mins on Tuesday and measured the
distance afterwards – 3.1 miles. I told him this was
5k – what a pain. It’s taken me 3 years to run below
25 mins in a 5k race and Brian is pretty much there
after 3 weeks. I definitely think it’s something to
do with the genes…

And now for the race on Wednesday night….I’d spent all
day Wednesday psyching myself up for this run and what
a disaster! Sheila Morrison and I had been given the
same handicap and were both due to go first.
Unfortunately Sheila’s sense of direction wasn’t
working well, so we led about another 10 runners round
a filed of hay instead of the proper course route.
Well we managed to figure out how to get to the finish
line and it turned out that we had marginally run a
bit extra but weren’t too far behind those that new
where they were going. Sheila and I would like to
make a public apology (in my diary) for leading you
all astray….

I felt quite good for the first part of the run, well
apart from swallowing a fly going through the first
field (the one we were meant to run through) and
choking for the next half mile…and my hamstrings hurt
from about the first step…but otherwise I felt quite
good. Then demoralised after running out of the next
field at the same place we had run in. It was very
hard running in the field too, grass up the hill and
then hard tractor tracks for the rest of the way. Oh
well, its good training for anyone going on to run the
cross country in the winter.

Tonight was interval night, along with the predictable
jokes about managing to find my way there…. Same
dynamic stretching as last week and a few sprints. I
like the sprints best – I manage to beat people in
those! (Probably because they are only about 50
metres or something) Although worryingly knackered
after the warm up and running quite slow 400m after
that. Tonight’s session was 8x400m on 3mins30secs
following the warm up. An easy session apparently for
those going on to run the Haddington half on Saturday.
On the 5th 400m I stopped after two hundred and
jogged back to the start for a bit of extra recovery
and this seemed to work because the times for the
remaining 400m’s reduced, with the last being the
fastest of the night (if not ever). Hamstrings were
still hurting all the way through, and I think I have
a mild case of groin strain (if girls can get such a
thing?). So for the first time in my runner career I
came home and iced. Lucky I bought that bag of mixed
veg in Tesco’s the other week…think I will need to ice
again tomorrow night in preparation for the big run on
Saturday.


___________________________________________________________
To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?