Monday, August 29, 2005

Well I’ve just returned from hols in Ireland and
thought I’d better give a quick update to running
progress. On the first week of our hols I managed the
difficult run round Beith of about 5 miles and that
was about it. On Sunday the 21st, I completed a 5.5
mile slow run from our cottage in Galway to the local
town and explored a bit. On Tuesday 23rd I completed
another 5.5 mile run again to the local town and
around some other routes. On the Wednesday I
attempted a longer run of about 8.5 miles but my
stomach was giving me trouble so only managed to run
5.5 miles and had to walk the other 3. I also fell
when climbing over a gate and managed to hurt my left
quad…On the Thursday I managed to motivate myself to
run a whole 2 miles…and that was it.

Brian did not stick to his runner’s world programme –
on the first week of his hols he did half of the run
round Beith – 25 mins. The next week he went on a 3.5
mile run on the Tuesday and the 2 miles with me on the
Thursday.

Food in Ireland was not as bad as my last trip –
Dublin had some tasty fare to offer and I had some
excellent vegetarian foods – courgette ricotta and
mint pasta; sun dried tomato, goat cheese and
asparagus salad; a mushroom and smoked tofu wellington
with mashed root veg, broccoli and a fantastic sauce;
and mushroom, roast pepper and halloumi cheese stack
burger with fries and stilton, pear and walnut salad.
Yum. In Galway I did a lot of my own cooking but
found a nice little Mexican that made veg Tostadas,
Quesadillas, Burritos etc….so not too many cheese
Sandwiches!

Weather though was not so great……ok in Dublin but very
wet and windy in the West. I will pack more jumpers
and some waterproofs the next time I go!

On Sunday 28th we both ran the Paisley 10k race.
Racing conditions were not ideal – it was very windy.
So windy in fact that the start blew over before the
race along with the clock and most of the fencing!
The weather was warm otherwise with some light
drizzle. The route was a new, flatter, faster route
and one I will probably do again in the near future.
Again I was plagued with some tummy trouble before the
start (need to use Sheila Morrison’s tip of taking
most of a pack of Imodium before a race), still had a
slightly sore left quad and hurt my lower back
immediately before the race. During the race I
managed to ignore the niggles, but stupid me, I didn’t
double knot my laces and had to stop twice in the
first 2k to re-tie them! A mistake I won’t make again
in a hurry.

My watch time for the race was an unofficial PB at
54:45, but unfortunately my official time will not be
a PB – I estimate it will be about 56:00. There are
about 1300 runners in the Paisley race and although
the running numbers have a chip, these measure only
finish time and not start time. It took over a minute
to get through the start, and I spent the first
kilometre at least trying to get out of the crowd of
slower runners I managed to get tied up with. So
annoying, but as usual there were walkers taking part
that decide to queue up right at the front row of the
start line and then walk from then on. I have nothing
against walkers taking part in a race, but it would
make sense for them to let the runners near the front!

Anyway – Brian’s time, after 5 weeks of training, and
as I said earlier the last two weeks of his training
were pretty lapse…………………………………his unofficial time
(allowing for the delay at the start) was about
49.30!!!!!!! What a pain!

I have another race next Sunday, and will remember to
double tie my laces. This one is a chipped race in
Glasgow, so hopefully will be able to get a decent
time. Will update shortly….




___________________________________________________________
Yahoo! Messenger - NEW crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?