Saturday, September 24, 2005

Oh my god…..Ian’s back. He says he had a good
holiday, but certainly wasn’t being very kind or
lenient with his interval sessions. Thursday’s
session entailed 32x200m in 1min15 seconds. I did a
half session… and that was ok. Not so sure about the
full session. One good thing though – towards the end
of the session I was able to keep up with Clarissa and
Anne on some of the 200m, not something that’s likely
to happen again in a hurry!

The nights are drawing in so our chances for long
countryside runs on Tuesday club nights are limited.
Tuesday night we ran up to Eweford, under the A1, up
to Wester Broomhouse, down the closed road, back to
the Spott roundabout and then back to Halhill via the
new houses. A sense of dread overcame me as we were
running down Kellie road – in the winter we will be
running through the new houses on a very regular basis
and for some reason I really dislike running along
Kellie road. I think it’s because it’s soooo long and
you can see right the way along it.

The road racing season is also nearly over – I missed
out on entry to the Stirling 10k as I applied too late
and the places were already filled. I have one more
10k on the calendar – the Cancer Research 10k at
Hopetoun House on 9th October and it sounds quite
nice. A mix of tarmac path, track and grass. Don’t
think there will be a chance of a pb though with the
different surfaces, and I’ve heard the path can be
quite narrow and hard to get ahead. Also it’s not
chipped, so it will be a case of elbow your way near
the start line and still there will be hundreds of
people walking the course that start in front of me.
Looking forward to it though…

The next big race for me is the Jedburgh Half, at the
end of October. This will be good as the club are
going together and stopping for a meal afterwards
(running is always good when food follows). To train
up for this Sheila Morrison and I are planning a run
to Haddington, along by the River Tyne, with lunch to
follow. The last time we did that was on the day of
the London marathon, where we had bagels and chocolate
prior to running. Bad move, I think my body was still
trying to digest that all the way along the run, and I
had a few light-headed moments. I won’t be trying
that pre run binge again!

Last Sunday Sheila Kerr and I went out for a pre Doon
hill run – something hilly and quite long. Sheila has
entered Doon Hill and I am continually dithering. I
marshalled the run last year and saw the quality of
runners, which is probably why I have been dithering
so much! Our practice session was a run up round
Spott, along to the second ford, down to Pitcox and
back along to Spott roundabout and to our start point.
We estimate the run was about 9.5 miles with 4 “good”
hills in it. Sheila had never run the route
before….not too sure she’ll be running it again in a
hurry!

Lindsay survived the GNR, we are still waiting to hear
her tale as she wasn’t able to come to club on
Tuesday. I’m sure we will get an update soon,
although some club members are running Doon Hill on
Tuesday as practice, and as the nights are drawing in
are leaving a bit earlier. I’ll probably dither about
the practice too………..well it is a very big hill!




___________________________________________________________
Yahoo! Messenger - NEW crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?