Thursday, October 13, 2005

A bleak week...

Hopetoun House 10k – would have been a lovely run if
you are into hills and cross country! I logged my
worst 10k time of the year (although thinking
positively this is still better than my best of last
year). The weather was freezing with a stiff breeze,
although when running in sheltered areas it was pretty
warm. The route was 50% tarmac path, 30% grass and
20% forest trail. It might have been a nice run if it
hadn’t been a race….there were plenty of nice hills to
run up, some of them more than once. More worryingly
my back had a funny ache running down hill at about 5k
and my quads were hurting on the up hills. I had my
give up mentally with me on Sunday so ended up doing
something I haven’t done in over a year – I walked on
one of the hills. Eeek. Weird though – even with
walking it was a faster time that last years 10k
times, so think I might have set off a bit too
quickly.

Tuesday night at club we had two prospective new women
members. They couldn’t have picked a worse night to
come! It was so wet, dark, bleak and windy on Tuesday
but I quite enjoyed the run. I even managed to run
down Kellie road without too much moaning!

On Wednesday Sheila Morrison and I braved the wet,
windy, bleak conditions again, but this time during
daylight hours. We ran up Arthur’s Seat (the steep
side) and down road Duddingston Loch and up the
innocent railway. This is the route of my first ever
10k about 2.5 years ago, and I hated every minute of
it! I ran up Arthur’s Seat too fast on that occasion
and had to stop at the top to try and rid myself of
the terrible rubber leg feeling. Yesterday the hill
didn’t seem too bad, although there is one short
stretch which is a bit tough on the way up. Again the
quads were hurting on the uphill sections. I took GPS
on this little trek and it measured at 6.24 miles so
pretty accurate for a 10k.

After Arthur’s Seat Sheila and I went for lunch (well
it’s been a while) at David Bann’s – the vegetarian
restaurant. It was fantastic food, really enjoyable.

And tonight it’s time to revisit interval training. I
hope Ian has read my diary recently and does decide to
take it easy…..

At the weekend Sheila and I are doing our half
marathon warm up run (for Jedburgh on 30th October) by
running from Belhaven to Haddington and guess what?
Then going for lunch….




___________________________________________________________
Yahoo! Messenger - NEW crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?