Thursday, November 03, 2005

I won!!!!!

I really am getting a bit lapse at keeping my diary up
to date – Sunday the 23rd was the last time I wrote,
following a very wet run around Dunbar. On Tuesday
the 25th we had a club run, round town again. Sheila
Kerr’s knee wasn’t quite right so she had to head back
after about a mile. We kept it going for a bit longer
but used Jedburgh as an excuse to cut the run short to
about 4.5 miles and to run slowly too!

On Thursday Ian set us a nice easy session to set us
up for Jedburgh. We all had to run 800m at half
marathon race pace, in 6 minutes for each 800m. Ian
was being very optimistic with my race pace –
suggesting I would manage 1hr 55mins for the half.
Sheila and I both had to aim for 4mins 22 secs for our
800m. The fun part though was that we were running
without watches….

On the first two 800m Ian told us our time at the 400m
point which made it a lot easier. We were within 1-2
seconds on the first two 800m. The third we went 8
seconds faster and on the fourth 8 seconds slower.
The fifth we got just about right again!

Sunday was Jedburgh – everything went as planned on
Sunday morning, I remembered that the clocks had gone
back so didn’t turn up an hour too early for the bus
or anything like that. The trip down was good, it
helps take your mind off it when you are travelling
with the club and someone else is driving.

The weather seemed fair – until about 5 minutes before
the start. Then the rain started, lightly at first,
refreshing. The route was scenic although not quite
the “flat” course that Sheila Morrison and Stuart
described it as….I would probably say undulating with
flat bits. I was running well for the first 6/7
miles, doing approx 9 minute miles. But then I think
the added water from all the rain began to weigh me
down. From about 7 miles to 11.5 miles I ran with a
guy who was going about my speed. That did help
because I thing from anywhere at mile 9 onwards I
could have given up. Then the really heavy rain
started….it was almost like hail. With a head wind
and heavy rain this wasn’t the easiest run, or the
most enjoyable running conditions.

And then the hill………I had heard about this hill
briefly at mile 11/12. Nice man from Musselburgh
running club scared me before the race as he said he
walked up the past two years (and he’s a good runner!)
so I was a bit concerned. On the way up I thought it
would be ok, but then I think I just got hacked off
with feeling a bit numb and cold from the weather,
plus out of breath from the hill and shock horror had
a walk for 2 mins. Oh dear. It was a bit tough
getting started again but I started off again whilst
still on the uphill and I think it helped me keep
going to the end – I managed to pass a few people in
the last couple of miles which is always good.
Although it was disheartening when the marshals kept
saying we only had half a mile to go – after running
for 2 hours, half a mile seems a very very long way.
So had a 30 secs stroll at about 12.7 miles too!

Anyway, finished in official time of 2.04.57 so got a
PB on a difficult course in difficult conditions and
lived to tell the tale. Also bet the goal of 2.05,
although slightly disappointed that I didn’t run all
the way and couldn’t keep up the early good form.

I spent the week before Jedburgh worrying that my
funny ITB thing would make it difficult for me to run
on Sunday and booked myself a sports massage with the
man from run-4-it for after Jedburgh. Didn’t want to
waste my legs before….now I have that please to look
forward to for first thing tomorrow morning! I am
scared…..

After the run the club headed back to Halhill for a
few drinks and then on to the Rocks for tea and more
wine. Interesting night – led to Sheila having a
“migraine” the next day. Not sure how the two Ian’s
were….. Let’s just say I think everyone enjoyed the
night out!

Tuesday night was a club run again, and as it was the
first night of the month (and therefore a committee
meeting after the run) we decided to head out as a
full club for the first couple of miles. I somehow
think the men got an easier time of it – they just
need to slow down to run with us, whereas I had to
make my weary half marathon legs try to keep up all
the way round West Barnes and not pant too much on the
way up any hills. It was a difficult run because I
was tired, but a great idea to all head out as a club
quite regularly – we might be able to catch some of
these stray runners and entice them to club.

And tonight was the handicapped 5k run. Ian had given
me a handicap of 26 minutes which is pretty fair for
my run. Faye, Sheila Morrison and I all headed out
together. I pushed on and….I won!!!! It was tough
though – don’t think I could breathe after about the
first 5 minutes of running. And I had the pressure of
not wanting to let anyone past me. I finished in a
time of 25.10 so a bit under the handicap but now
really concerned about what happens at the next one.

Anyone best get off to rest the legs prior to my
torture session tomorrow. If my legs survive I’m
heading out again on Sunday for a 10 miler with Sheila
Morrison – not sure what shape I’ll be in then though.


___________________________________________________________
To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?