Tuesday, December 13, 2005

The Christmas Stress is really getting to me..............

What a disastrous week! I am so not coping with the
pre Christmas stress. The trains have been a
nightmare for the last week. Last Tuesday morning on
my daily commute the Dunbar train was 25 mins late in
the morning. Now daily I catch two trains and a bus
and when everything runs to time I only arrive 15 mins
early so this was not a good start. On arrival at
Haymarket I had to then figure out the best train to
get me nearest to work as possible and this was the
Glenrothes train. Glenrothes train was on the display
screen as next train on the platform and Glenrothes
train was announced. On getting on the train, train
doors closing and train doors moving away the ticket
inspector decided to tell us that this was not the
Glenrothes train but the Inverness train.
Unfortunately not stopping where we need to (South
Gyle) but first stop being Inverkeithing. On arrival
at Inverkeithing I was so hacked off with the farcical
trip that I just hopped in a taxi with another person
who had got on the wrong train (there were a few of
us) and headed off to work. Not the best start to the
day…..

And it only got worse from there. Tuesday nights run
was a bit dodgy to say the least. We headed out for
the usual Tuesday night town run, and it was the first
Tuesday of the month we started with the men. Only
Sheila Morrison and I couldn’t keep up at all. We
were both totally done in from galloping like goats at
the weekend, ended up cutting the town run short and
also walking parts of it. Bit of a crap run really,
only made slightly better by the fact that other
people were complaining of sore legs following the
goats gallop too!

Thursday night’s interval training went a bit better.
Usual warm up, followed by 8x600m in 5 minutes.
Sheila and I managed to complete the set, although
running at quite a steady pace rather than full out
effort. I am so tired from being busy at work (and
due to transport problems had been getting up ultra
early to get 07:19 train from Newcraighall straight
out to Edinburgh Park). Felt ok during and after the
session which was a bit of a confidence booster.

And then Sunday………oh dear. Sunday was the annual
festive runs. Club members choose to run either the
10k or half marathon route and the idea is that you
set off at the appropriate time to finish at 12:00.
Following the run there is soup and sandwiches to help
recovery. Sheila Morrison and I were running the half
– in an attempt to keep our mileage up. I bullied
Sheila into putting an estimated time of 2.05 to
complete (which was my pb for the year on roads but 5
mins slower than Sheila’s pb). Good job I did.
Didn’t feel great on the way round at all – problems
catching my breath again. Also hip was being a bit
painful. Not good. We stopped for a quick breather
about halfway round at the top of the hill, had some
lucozade juice and jooster sweets to keep us going but
it was a struggle. Eventually made it round in just
under 2.15. But at least we did it!

The route is a lovely route from Halhill through John
Muir Country Park, onto the North Berwick road,
running towards North Berwick passed the turning for
Tyninghame and up the hill and then taking a left turn
again up a hill towards a mast. From here you head
into Lawhead, back down to Knowes farm, along to the
North Berwick road and then retrace your steps through
John Muir Country Park and back to Halhill. It was a
beautiful morning for the run and the event went
smoothly – bit of a shame about my running!
Tonight we went out for a town run again – Val is back
from Oz, so there was Anne, Sheila Morrison, Sheila
Kerr, Lindsay and myself. Sheila Kerr is just back
after injury (although she ran the 10k on Sunday, then
went to a balance ball class on Sunday pm, followed by
a stint on the exercise bike, then circuit training
last night). So no wonder Sheila Kerr was tired! We
cut it a bit short and then I ran round and found the
others to trot back to Halhill with….only to realise
I’d left my car keys and mobile in Sheila Kerr’s
jacket and had to get a lift to her house so I could
get home…..

Roll on Christmas…..




___________________________________________________________
Yahoo! Messenger - NEW crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?