Thursday, December 22, 2005

I'll have what she had.....

Last Thursday Sheila Morrison and I presented “coach”
Ian Rowlands with some essential Christmas presents
designed to help him keep warm on the cold winter
evenings when he is timing us running round and round
in circles. Sheila had lovingly prepared a huge
Christmas cake, with copious amounts of alcohol with
it. We also gifted some hand warmers (very good –
have used them myself at freezing afternoons at the
rugby) and a whisky miniature. Even though we gave
this to Ian before the session, he didn’t go any
easier on us…. The session was 4x400m in 3mins,
2x800m in 6mins and then a mile. I’ve been feeling
really tired (Christmas stress is still getting too
me) so plodded my way round. Not sure what happened
to Sheila Morrison but she was flying round.
Something has awakened the competitive spirit, just
need to figure out what it was and get rid of it, so I
can start beating her again.

Saturday morning Sheila Morrison and I went out for a
10mile run with hills. We set out from Belhaven
running up to Spott via Eweford and Wester Broomhouse.
We then ran past the second ford up to Pitcox and
back along to Eweford. It was freezing cold weather –
3 layers, gloves and ear warmers on all the way round
– but beautiful, clear weather. Much nicer than the
rather wet long runs we have been having recently.

On Sunday Sheila Morrison and I were both marshalling
at the Dunbar cross country and had decided that we
would go for a light run after this. Sheila had
prepared a lovely home made pizza that would fuel us
for our run, although I think everyone thought we were
a bit odd taking a picnic with us for marshalling. I
am convinced marshalling is harder than actually
running – at least when you are running you just
follow the person in front as they know where they are
going, and you keep warm throughout! After the race
Sheila and I tried to follow the adult course but I
think we managed to cut it a bit short. I was finding
it all a bit tough anyway after our efforts on
Saturday.

Tuesday night was a town run, and after a bit of a
brisk start Sheila Morrison was feeling a bit nauseous
so we cut it short. Sheila Kerr, Sheila Morrison and
I walked back to Halhill, just in time to be caught
out by Clarissa! Not sure what was wrong with Sheila
but I’m sure it must be something to do with Ivan’s
(her husband) return from brief travel overseas and
them going out on a “date” the night before
(apparently watching a bit of a dodgy movie and dinner
– hmmmm.) After a quick shower all the runners got
together for a few sandwiches, pizza and other nibbles
over a few drinks. It was a lovely night (well apart
from the fact we hadn’t managed to burn off many
calories prior to stuffing more in…..)

Anne made us all lovely homemade chocolates – Brian
and I ate them last night. They were gorgeous. I
think there is a business opportunity there
somewhere……..

And Ian was given another present – a cap in Dunbar
colours with Coach emblazoned on the front. At least
we’ll be able to see him coming.

Tonight was another interval session, with Anne taking
us. We did 4x400m in 3 mins, 2x800m in 6mins and
another 4x400m in 3 mins. Again Sheila was flying
round – she bet me on the 2nd and 3rd 400m sessions
and on both the 400m. Even more worrying was that her
best time on the 400m was about 20 secs faster than
her slowest. Weird. Just goes to show I was right
about her not really putting the effort in previously.
Wonder if she’ll go back to the coffee morning
approach?


___________________________________________________________
To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?