Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Last Tuesday 7th was terrible weather. We headed out
from Halhill on the countess road side but then nipped
under the railway bridge and ran round the houses,
walker homes and on down to the harbour. We were
being pelted by rain and held back by wind all the
way. From the harbour we ran up by the pool and then
along back road before Val, Fay, Lindsay and myself
unanimously agreed not to run round West Barnes and
just to head on back. (Fay and I had a good excuse as
we had a committee meeting to attend). By this time
we were pretty soaked anyway, so seemed a good place
to stop.

On Thursday night we had intervals and it seemed like
we would be having an easier session – only 4 lots of
4 mins running as far/fast as you can. This was less
than the last session, but (isn’t there always a but
with interval training?) the rest period was less than
the last session. We did stop after the 3rd, and run
the 4th one back to the start. Quite interesting,
given the times that were knocked off in the last run
(Stuart was first over the line and had knocked about
15 seconds off on his last run. I managed to knock
about 10 off….)

Friday night was the running club night out. Lots of
beer, wine, food and chat about running. Stuart had
handed out copies of the annual review – quite
impressive really. Ian Sills and I did sign a few
copies, to keep the fans happy. I’ve read the whole
review cover to cover, and runners all seem to have a
good sense of humour…. Although I never want to have
the misfortune of staying in the same hotel as Anne
and Stuart did when they went down to the London
marathon last year. Presumably they’ve found
somewhere different for this year!

On Saturday I’m sure some runners had sore heads! I
met Val for an early run down at Belhaven. We ran
through the woods to the wooden bridge and then back
along the beach. It was a lovely morning so nice to
get out. My head didn’t hurt at all – must have been
all the water I so sensibly drank the night before!
(in between and after the alcohol…)

The Sunday run I thought might turn out to be a full
club run. I was out again in Edinburgh on Saturday,
so had to make it an afternoon run. Sheila Kerr had
been discussing on Friday at the night out and it
seemed like everyone was coming along, but in the end
only Sheila Kerr, Emer and I went out. I had
protested on the Friday that Emer should come along –
saying she is about twice as fast as Sheila and I.
This was a slight exaggeration, but not too far off.
So the run on Sunday was at a “reasonable” pace – all
depending on how you interpret “reasonable” really.
We headed off through John Muir Country Park, joined
onto the A1 slightly before the North Berwick road and
then headed to over the A1 to run a flat route along
past some farms (no idea what their name is, when I
look at a map I will update you). The route then
comes through an underpass at a farm where there is
usually a nice bull to gently tiptoe round and out at
the roundabout nearest to West Barnes. From there
Sheila’s knee was hurting so she ran back on the road
through West Barnes and back to Belhaven. Emer and I
took the path back through John Muir Country Park,
taking a slightly longer route by turning left and
running past the farms, back to the bridge at the sand
dunes and then back through John Muir Country Park.
Definitely think that was the quickest I’ve run that
route anyway!

And now I’m just off to get changed for another run
about town. At least the weather seems to have
changed for the better!


___________________________________________________________
Win a BlackBerry device from O2 with Yahoo!. Enter now. http://www.yahoo.co.uk/blackberry


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?