Thursday, March 02, 2006

Bloody cold...

Well I’ve still not found the missing
motivation…..however this week I did find myself a
nasty cold. My nose is presently falling apart, lips
are all nicely cracked and peeling, and as for
breathing……why do I catch a cold right before all of
these lovely races I have coming up????? I’ve now
decided the poor motivation thing was also linked to
big nasty cold settling in.

Anyway last Thursday night Ian didn’t bother shouting
“encouragement” – he just told me to move my arse. It
worked, so guess the direct approach is best! We were
doing 4 x 5 minutes and the last one we turned round
and ran back. So this time I just had a few people to
pass…..and pass them I did! (thanks to Ian’s
“encouragement”!)

On Saturday Sheila Morrison and I did a nice wee
number, from Belhaven through the country park and
back to Sheila’s – approx 4.5 miles. What was even
better was the coffee and biscuits that followed. It
was good to get out, and as Sheila has had a bit of a
break from running (nasty chest thing followed by
“romantic” weekend in Seville), it meant that we had a
nice steady paced run.

Then I watched the rugby – what a game!

On Sunday though we were running a longer, hillier,
route in preparation for Lasswade. Sheila Morrison
and I, along with Fay and Val, set off out on a trek
up round Spott and onwards…. After 2 miles, Sheila
and I sent Fay and Val off on their own, as there was
no chance we were going to keep up with them. We
headed up from Belhaven, through Halhill woods, up to
Spott from the Spott roundabout, round the second
ford, down to Pitcox, along to Little Spott, through
Spott, back through Halhill woods to Halhill, and a
shortcut through town to Sheila’s. I measured it on a
map and even being nice I think it was only 12 miles….

On the way back to Sheila’s we were passed by Val and
Fay (on their way home in the car) as they had been
waiting for us for about 25 minutes. Ooops. Anyway I
blame Sheila and her numerous toilet stops. (I guess
at least she had an excuse for stopping….not sure what
my excuse was but I’m using this damn cold for now!)

On Tuesday I had already texted Sheila in advance to
find out how fit she was feeling. By this point I had
taking to doping myself up with cold remedy to stop
the thing getting a proper hold, and to attempt to
recover before Lasswade on Sunday. Luckily, Sheila
wanted a slow run…..so we ran slow….and for not very
long at all. It was freezing cold with a bitter wind
so we stuck to sheltered streets and didn’t really do
hills either.

On Wednesday Sheila and I headed off to North Berwick
for some more Pilates training. We did some
interesting things with exercise circles between our
legs that you can really feel the next day….apparently
it’s very good for runners…..

Today we decided that trying to run the handicap would
be too much when racing on Sunday, and also needed to
do something a wee bit longer than 3 miles due to the
lack of running on Tuesday night. So while the rest
of the club was running 3 miles as fast as they could,
Sheila and I were off on another gentle trot round
town. Lovely….at least the nights are getting
lighter. Fay said that we should run it as she was
doing it and running at Lasswade – I did respond that
the plan was for Fay to tire herself out completely
tonight, so that Sheila and I stood a chance of
finishing before her on Sunday. (Well done to Fay for
winning anyway - let’s hope your handicap is reduced
for next time!)


___________________________________________________________
To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?