Thursday, March 09, 2006

Hills, hills and yet more bloody hills

Lasswade 10 miles – my first race of the year. And
what a race to pick! For all of you who have run this
one, you’ll know that it’s a “challenging” one. I’ve
been moaning about the hills all year and yet still I
ran round the race on Sunday and was surprised when I
turned a corner just to find…..yet another hill!

Sheila said that I should have written this piece on
the day, so that the pain was fresh in my mind. I
think it’s probably a good thing that I didn’t.
Although, out with the negativity. I ran a pb –
1:37:14 officially which was 51 seconds faster than
last year. Not bad when just recovering from a cold.
And I felt loads better running it this year than last
(in that I ran up the hills this year – a bit of a
change since last year!) I ran all the way up Roslin
glen, passing quite a few people on the way, indeed
even passing Sheila M at the top of the hill (which
never happens in long races, or where hills are
involved) but then stopped in order to breathe. Must
have been an altitude thing!

In the application form for Lasswade they have a handy
grid thing that tells you where the hills are, how
steep they are and how long they last. Ignore it.
Basically the route is hilly all the way to 7.5 miles
at which point you get a few more flat bits and down
hill bits.

Anyway, I kept it going with Sheila visible in front
of me most of the way. We both felt a bit crap at
about the 8.5miles mark so had a couple of starburst
each and then at the end had to run through what
Sheila described as porridge. The adverse weather
conditions had done something quite odd to the surface
we were running on so it was a sort of red porridge.

Afterwards there were loads and loads of sandwiches,
biscuits, cakes etc etc. I’ve given up on biscuits
and cakes at the mo, so made do with about a million
sandwiches. (Followed by a stop off at Dobbies for
soup and a roll, and a scone and coffee back at
Sheila’s! Oh yeah and then I went out for tea. Not
sure I reaped any benefit from the run then????)

Nice man from Musselburgh was there – amazing he even
knew I was talking about him in my race diary. This
time though he told me I wasn’t allowed to walk up the
hill – and I didn’t. Amazing! Anyway might need to
start using his name soon, Steve, it was good to catch
up. Will see Steve and Mary and some of the other
Musselburgh and Haddington runners at the Edinburgh
half no doubt.

Tuesday night was a nice short club run as we had a
meeting afterwards. Lucky as the weather was crap and
my legs were a bit dead feeling. Sheila M as per
usual was trotting off in front like she had a brand
new pair (of legs) from somewhere.

Wednesday night Sheila and I did our Pilates so now my
inner thighs, stomach and shoulders are all aching.

Tonight at intervals we did 3x5 mins (stopping where
you are on the 2nd and turn round to run back on the
3rd) which was an easier session given that there are
a few of us going up to Inverness to complete the half
marathon on Sunday. I ran a nice easy pace – good
excuse this half marathon but my legs felt like dead
weights still. Will need lots of carbs and rest to
sort them by Sunday. (That’s my excuse for lots of
pasta, lovely)


___________________________________________________________
Win a BlackBerry device from O2 with Yahoo!. Enter now. http://www.yahoo.co.uk/blackberry


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?