Monday, March 13, 2006

I resign....

Well last week I wrote after I had forgotten the
pain….this week I’m taking a different approach. The
pain is still there – my calves are quite tight, my
left hamstring hurts and my left hip – well lets just
say when I’m walking around it is quite a sight to
see, hobbling away….

So Inverness half – my first half of the year (and if
yesterday was anything to go by it could well be the
last!). Weather conditions were not kind – I spent
all morning looking out the window at the snow,
thinking this was not boding well….then it all turned
to rain and wind, and a very chilly wind at that.

I had not had a good night sleep on Saturday – kept
dreaming that I had forgotten my trainers or that I’d
turned up too late to register. Unfortunately,
nothing happened that would stop me running the race.

The route itself was probably quite nice, alongside
the river and then up into the hills, completing a
route and then running back to the stadium along both
sides of the river again. It was predominantly quite
a flat route (I think as I’m trying to block it all
out) but uphill between miles 3-6.

I’m not quite sure what went wrong for me – I know I
ran the first mile too fast as I kept up with Sheila
for it, but slowed it down for the next few. I passed
halfway at 1hr, so if I’d managed to keep it at that
speed for the whole race I’d have run a pb. If I’d
managed to run a negative split (ha ha) then I might
even have broken the 2 hour mark, which is the
ultimate goal. I passed 10 miles at 1hr 33mins, so
even running 10 minute miles for the next 3 miles I
would have managed a pb. I think I must have run out
of juice, cos I came in at 2hr 06mins and 18 seconds.
My legs were knackered and felt really tight and sore,
and my hip had been causing me pain since about mile 4
onwards – every step on the left foot hurt from then
to the end. The only victory was that I kept running
all the way, which I guess is a sort of achievement.

So, out of my 3 half marathons this one sits as no 2
time wise – second best and second worst. I think the
negative tone is due to the fact that when I was
running I couldn’t wait to finish, and every single
step felt like a huge effort. At Loch Leven last
year, I ran slightly slower but felt quite good most
of the way. At Jedburgh the weather was equally crap,
the course was probably more undulating, I walked for
a couple of minutes and I still ran faster…is there
any reasoning????????????

Anyway, decided to withhold my payment for Ian
Rowlands on Thursday night, as his interval sessions
have failed to help me on the way to another pb…..lets
hope this isn’t a slippery slope and that Edinburgh
half goes better….


___________________________________________________________
To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?