Monday, May 01, 2006

Lots of running......

I’ve been a bit naughty and haven’t written for a
while – the last run I wrote about was on Easter
Sunday, where we were egg rolling for fun.

On Easter Monday, 17th April, I went out for a short
run at Belhaven. I ran through John Muir Country Park
until coming to the small wooden bridge part way
through and then cut back across the sand. It was
very windy, so I had made sure that I ran the way
round where the wind would be at my back on the beach
rather than head on! For some reason I thought it
would be a good idea to try out Ian’s suggestion of
doing intervals on the beach and did just 5x2 mins
fast, with 2 mins slower recovery in the middle. I
haven’t repeated this since – its even harder doing
intervals on your own compared to at club!

On the 18th club night we went from Halhill down
through John Muir Country Park and up past the first
farm, round to East Links and back to Halhill. Anne
was meant to be tapering for London, but don’t think
she was doing a very good job of it.

On the 20th – Thursday club night – intervals again.
We did 4x400m in 3mins, 2x800m in 5 mins and 4x400m in
3 mins again. Sheila M got all confused and thought
that the last of the first set of 400m was our last
interval and ran really quickly on that one, not
realising she wasn’t even halfway at that point! I
did a 400m instead of one of the 800m for a bit of
extra recovery.

On the 23rd, whilst most of the running world would
have been tuned into the London marathon (or running
the London marathon) Sheila M and I were undertaking
our own marathon – a how much can you eat type! We
went to Grangemouth first and ran the 10k, followed by
lunch with Sheila’s sister Ailsa at Bean Cross.
Starters, main course and Sheila also ordered a
pudding. Then back to mine for more food, wine and to
watch the marathon (I had recorded all 6 hours of tv,
but we only made it through to 4.5. We think we saw
Ian though after 4 hours of viewing, at that point
watching all those who finished under 3 hours.
Grangemouth was as scenic as ever – the pavements were
very hard and hurt my feet. My new asics kayano had
an inaugural run as my last pair of trainers wore out
after 2 months. Managed to rip quite a bit of the
sole off of the new trainers too……need to figure out a
type of trainer with a much harder wearing sole – they
need to last a bit longer than 6 miles!!!!! Anyway did
my splits again at Grangemouth – a bit odd again,
anyway
5.11
5.20
5.34
5.20
5.32
5.35
5.49
5.41
5.44
5.35
Its probably similar to the women’s elite splits at
the marathon – only their times were for miles rather
than kilometres! I got 55.39 as official time, which
was faster than last year but not as fast as Dunbar
and still not a pb…… Sheila M got 53.10, so is still
ahead by someway – about 15 seconds a kilometre faster
than me.

On Tuesday (25th) club night Sheila K was back, and
Amanda, so I think we had 11 women in all. Most of
the women seemed quite sprightly and were way ahead
from the start so Sheila K and I decided to take it
easy. My legs seemed to be quite sore from Sunday
anyway, so we ran up past Spott roundabout, along up
to Spott, but turned up towards Wester Broomhouse and
came back to Halhill via Eweford. The other ladies
did a bit of a longer sort of cross country route
running up behind Karen’s red chimney at the bridge,
up behind the farms and down Starvation Brae before
running back to club. Anne had turned back at some
point and joined Sheila K and I on our trek – her legs
were not quite her own at that point! No wonder, I
was impressed she was out running!

On Thursday (27th) Brian and I were up for a long
weekend in Grantown on Spey. So I did a nice run (red
marked route) through some woodland there. The run in
the woods was about 5.5 miles so from B&B the route
was just over 6.

On Friday (28th) I went out for a longer one – again
through the trees on some marked tracks. I did the
same (red) route as Thursday but added another (blue)
route before it – so ran about 8 through the trees and
with some extra bits added in made it to 9.5 miles.
Not bad for being on my own, although I do lose the
willpower at about that stage. Also went flying in
the trees, all these tree routes sticking up. Had a
bit of a sore left shoulder and knee after that.

On Saturday (29th) I went to Balmoral to cheer Sheila
M on at the 10k road race. Shame but you couldn’t
enter on the day – a good thing because if you could I
might have bowed under the pressure to do so. Instead
I felt a huge amount of relief at not running – weird.
Must have been Sheila’s tales of the hill at the
start from last year. I did watch those finishing in
about 52/53 minutes and wonder why they were running
faster than I could though…..Later I went for another
run in the trees where I noticed my knee was still a
bit sore after my escapade on Friday. I did two
routes again but shorter – the blue and the green
route so did about 4 miles in the trees and about 4.5
miles total. I ran with my ipod on this one after
seeing something when flicking through a running
magazine about it now being proven that running to
music makes you go faster. Might try that for my next
race and see if it’s true – at least it will help me
to relax and maybe breathe a bit better.

Now (Monday) I’m due to be heading off on a long one
in about half an hour so I’d better get my skates on –
more next time…..


___________________________________________________________
To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?