Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I wrote this yesterday - damn technology....

Well its that time of year for my mid year performance
review at work, so whilst its been gorgeous sunshine
for the most part today I’ve spent a considerable part
of it in front of my pc reminding myself what a great
employee I am…..
Therefore I thought I’d spend a bit more of the day
doing a mid year review of my running performance for
the first half of 2006 but unfortunately its not going
to be anywhere near as good as it would have been (PB
wise) last year. Anyway….here is the low-down….

Have worn out two pairs of trainers and (fingers
crossed, touch wood etc etc) the third seem to be
doing ok
Have bought no big gadgets so far
Have been for a number of deep tissue sports massages
due to tight spots
Have consistently been running four times a week (and
sometimes more)
Have now been going to interval training for about a
year
I’m now on my fourth running log (so entries like this
are a complete pain in the butt)

Anyway races:

05/03/06 – Lasswade 10 miles – official time 1 hr
37:14 *PB* (2005 time 1hr 38:05)
12/03/06 – Inverness ½ - official time 2hr 06:18 (PB
at time 2hr 04:57 Jedburgh 2005)
26/03/06 – Edinburgh ½ - time 2hr 07:07 – official
time could be anyone’s guess. PB above
01/04/06 – Dunbar 10km – 55:02 (PB 54:05 Glasgow Sept
2005; Dunbar 2005 55:09)
23/04/06 – Grangemouth 10km – 55:39 (PB above;
Grangemouth 2005 56:08)
21/05/06 – Britannic 10km – 55.03 (PB above; Britannic
2005 55.56)
27/05/06 – Loch Leven ½ - 2hr 05:03 (PB above Jed;
Loch Leven 2005 2.07.57)
23/06/06 – Haddington 5 miles – 45.23 *PB* (by default
– never done before!)
11/06/06 – Glasgow RFL 5km – 25.25 (2005 time 24.41)
25/06/06 – East Kilbride ½ - 2hr 03.45 *PB*

So performance so far not bad I guess – 3 PB’s out of
10 races not great but out of the 6 races that I also
ran in 2005, I ran 5 of them quicker in 2006. (If only
you could have race specific pb’s instead of distance
specific!!!)

Also have upped distance this year – although a bit
scary as yesterday Sheila M and I ran in one day what
I would have run in 2 weeks in the early part of 2004!

Quick run down for the week –
Tuesday club night, the weather was hot and I was
nicely sticky! Who says women don’t sweat??? Anyway
attempted a run through Halhill trees up round Eweford
and down to West Barnes along the Biel burn and back
to Halhill. Breathing a bit difficult – hopefully
because I’ve been without my performance enhancing
drugs (also known as inhaler) for a week and a half.
Struggled along and collapsed into cold shower.

Wednesday was 4 mile Haddington summer series race. On
a positive note – both Sheila M and I went the correct
way this time. On a more negative note – it was far
too bloody warm to be running. I must have thought
this on the way through Lennoxlove and for some reason
thought a little walk would be more pleasant, although
started a light trot again as I was overtaken by
George Armstrong. Haddington and I don’t seem to mix
on a race front (not on that route anyway) as I also
got a stitch – funnily enough at the 5 mile race I got
a stitch and walked there too.

Thursday was intervals and was slightly cooler than
Wednesday. Did 12x300m with a decent rest as Ian was
taking pity on us as we had run hard the previous
night. Managed to beat Ann on one of the warm up
sprints (no doubt as she was conserving energy but may
as well boost myself with the thought). On the last
300m managed to finish in 1min12 but was aiming for
1min 10 so need to push even harder next time.

And then onto Sheila M and mine’s epic journey across
East Lothian yesterday. We ran from mine to town,
picking up Val on the way. Then round the harbour, up
by the pool, round by the cost and Winterfield golf
course. Sheila was concentrating too much on the
golfers and not on the path and did a spectacular
side-twist somersault – unfortunately missed her
footing and landed on the ground (ok she fell then).
After all the golfers rushed to her aid she managed to
get up and trot on through John Muir Country Park,
down North Berwick road to the Tyne, along the Tyne to
East Linton, through East Linton, along the Tyne to
Hailes Castle and then on into Haddington for lunch at
Poldrates. We had a couple of wee stops on the way
(ok a picnic or two) and a lovely large lunch at the
end. I didn’t measure as was too hot for gps all the
way but based on previous measures it was between
17.5-18 miles. Well deserving of a slap up lunch.
Ian is in no danger of me joining in his 50 miler
that’s for sure – not sure if I’ll ever manage to find
these long distances any easier….


___________________________________________________________
Now you can scan emails quickly with a reading pane. Get the new Yahoo! Mail. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?