Thursday, August 24, 2006

lots and lots of running.....

Well I have been a naughty girl haven’t I? It’s been
a while since I wrote in my diary – so now I have an
epic tale to tell……starting over a week ago.

On Tuesday 15th we went out for a nice club run, on a
flat route around John Muir Country Park, taking it
easy in anticipation of the big hill that we would
have to run up the following night. We probably did
around 6.5 miles in total.

And then onto the big hill……Wednesday night was the
Carfraemill to Gifford run. Sheila decided we were to
run the whole thing (against my better judgement, but
my quad had been a bit niggly the previous night).
Any how, George Armstrong was being the sweeper at the
back, needless to say that he ran the whole run with
me! I’m not so hot on steep hills (and I couldn’t
breathe on the way up). Amazing views – next year I
will set out a bit earlier and ensure no sore bits
before we start. At the bottom of the hill Sheila and
I met up again and got a lift back to the Goblin Ha’
with Claire & co. Once there the plan was to have a
shower and head down for tea however I went in the
shower and shrieked a bit due to the fact it was ice
cold and ran back out again (I’m not good with pain).
We then headed down for tea (poor portions for
veggies, ok for those eating meat. Sheila took pity
on me and gave me a few chips and one of her
profiteroles!). George made a few cheeky comments
about my plateau at a very low level. Cheek!

On Thursday I braved the intervals, even though my
legs were complete dead weights. (At least I’m
committed). We were supposed to be doing 4x400m,
4x200m and 4x400m, I did 3x400m, 4x200m and 3x400m and
then a 200m relay. I was paired up with Grant for the
relay, (luckily) when I passed the baton over to
Grant I was in second place and Grant legged it round
the track as fast as possible to ensure we
won!!!!!!!!! It’s been a long time since I’ve won
anything so I was fair chuffed.

Saturday marked the day of an epic run for Sheila and
I. We set off at 8:00 and up round Winterfield golf
course, round by Eweford and down to West Barnes,
heading through John Muir Country Park to the North
Berwick road, We then ran along the Tyne and up to
Lawhead and then down the road past Smeaton garden
centre. From there we headed back along the Tyne
again and to the John Muir Park. After a quick Mars
Bar and lucozade break we ran through the park,
detouring round by some of the farms and East Links,
up the golf course part way and then back onto
Sheila’s. Afterwards we had a well deserved cheese
scone and a coffee. I then headed on home to relax
and ended up spending the afternoon watching the
London tri and some athletics. Fantastic!

Following the epic journey I had some well deserved
rest time and the next run was Tuesday 22nd August –
the final summer series race. I had persuaded Brian
to join me, as the run was only 5km and in Dunbar,
with a barbecue afterwards. There was quite a
gathering and in the spirit of being nice I suggested
Brian could go in front of me with a handicap of 28:30
whilst I had one of 28:00. I set off with Val and
Sheila and managed to keep up with Val for the first
7-8 minutes but then she was off. I kept it going
though and managed to pass a few folk so that I
finished in front of Fay and Sheila (not bad if you’ve
been reading about the poor performances I’ve had in
other summer series races!) and had a time of around
25 mins. Brian the complete pain (I’m not talking to
him for at least a week) had a time of under 24 mins –
23:46 I think. How annoying – with only one very slow
training run under his belt!!!! The barbecue after
was fantastic, ate far too much food and some people
maybe drank too much alcohol, (although not me – I was
too thirsty after my exertions to be drinking
alcohol!)

On Wednesday I headed off to leg man for a wee leg
rub. I’d forgotten how much it hurts. Especially
when you have tight bits! Ooowww. So the quads were
pretty bad – bit lumpy bit in the middle, and the IT
band was pretty tight, especially where it joins the
knee, shins weren’t great – whatever he did to them
was a really sore sharp sort of pain and then the
calves – they are just something else. My calves are
so huge they are really fully grown heifers - if only
I could sell them off at market I’m sure they’d fetch
a decent price.

And finally onto tonight – another lovely set of
intervals. Tonight’s joy was 3x600m, 3x300m and
finally 3x600m. Wasn’t too sure about it as I don’t
really like anything over the 600m but actually it
wasn’t too bad. Managed to whiz round the 300m ok,
but suffered for it on the first of the second set of
600m. It’s all good fun really (easy to say a few
hours later) No relay tonight – phew! So now Ian has
only a few days before his very epic journey – no
doubt all will go well but had better wish a public
good luck message for his 50 miler! (That is totally
crazy – why do I think it’s a good idea to go to
interval training with a clearly mad person doing the
coaching????)


___________________________________________________________
Next-generation email? Now you can have it with All New Yahoo! Mail. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?