Sunday, August 13, 2006

plodding along...

Well another week running, another week getting
slower………On Tuesday it was the second of the
Musselburgh ELSS races – along by the river. Started
with Sheila M (which is always a bad move as I try to
keep up with her and then knacker myself). Finished –
which is always a bit of an achievement – in 37.48 but
did 37.17 last year. An extra 30 seconds? Where did
that come from? Consoled myself with egg sandwiches at
the end….

On Thursday it was intervals. Did 10x400m which feels
like an achievement in itself, although the fastest
one was only 1.48…..could do better

Saturday I decided not to run at Haddington – I had a
sneaky peak at last years results and realised I could
be in with quite a chance of being right at the back
of the pack and thought I didn’t really need that so I
went out for a nice wee run, down through Pinkerton,
round the bottom of Doon Hill and behind Spott House,
down Starvation Brae, over to the first ford and up
Daniel’s Brae, down to Eweford cottages and along Biel
Burn to the caravan park where I was getting a lift
home. Made it up all the hills so was really chuffed,
although the breathing sounded pretty impressive on
the way up Daniel’s Brae.

In the afternoon I went to lend some support to my
fellow club mates by watching the end of the
Haddington half. I thought I got there just in time,
but missed the winner (caught everyone else though!).
Some pretty impressive runs, not least by our own
Stuart Hay who got a pb and won the prize for First
East Lothian Male. Pretty damn good hey? I’ll need to
figure out what his trick is.

And today I planned on going out for a long one (well
longer than yesterdays 9 miles and possibly even up to
15). I went out the same route initially as yesterday
running round Pinkerton and round the bottom of Doon
Hill. Then I headed down towards the Spott round, by
the house with the big red chimney. I headed up the
closed road and then along the grassy field at Wester
Broomhouse to get to the road to Pitcox. There I got
mildly attacked by two dogs – good job their owners
were present to hold them whilst I went on – took a
while to catch them though! I ran onto Pitcox (yet
more hills) and then down to the A1, and down to John
Muir country park. I ran along the old A1 for a bit
until I came to the gate into John Muir that we use on
club nights and in the festive 10km and then ran back
along to East Links where Brian was waiting for me
with some juice. I had a slurp or two of energy then
set off with Brian to run the 5km route in advance of
the 22nd. It was hell. All that sand with very tired
legs is not a good idea. Hopefully it will be better
on the 22nd. And this week for some mad reason I’m
running Carfraemill to Gifford (transport permitting).
All this running ain’t doing much good to my times
though. Don’t fancy Stuart’s training approach though
– run 30miles one weekend and then 13.1 is easy the
next!


___________________________________________________________
All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?