Sunday, September 03, 2006

On a race high!!!!!

I’ve now written so many of these diary entries I
can’t even remember what runs I’ve got to talk
about……I could just make a few up and test to see
whether anyone is reading….I haven’t had any comments
for ages – not even dodgy ones!

Think I need to start with last weekend – the 26th was
the Saturday and I was heading out for a medium long
run, as I’d planned to do the truly long run on the
Monday bank holiday. So on Saturday I wasn’t very
organised and hadn’t even figured out what time I was
going to run or anything until about 10:30. I went
out and hid some juice in strategic places, came home
and started running at about 11:00. And sometimes I
wonder should I have bothered? I ran round the bottom
of Doon Hill, behind Spott Farm and then down
Starvation Brae into Spott. From there I ran down the
second ford and down beside Findlay’s spring water to
Pitcox. From there I went down to the A1 and then
along down to the old A1. This was the most exciting
part of the run – some funny cycle race thing going on
down at the roundabout on the old A1. I then dragged
my weary self along the old A1 and crossed over to run
round Hedderwick, under the A1 and back to North
Belton etc and again towards the funny cycle thingy.
I went into John Muir and then ran shortest route
(well I say ran but I think that is well and truly an
exaggeration) back to the caravan park at Belhaven
where Brian was awaiting me to take me home. My
excuses are that the first part of the run was hilly
so I tired myself out, I’ve been working hard, and
that the weather was sticky hot, humid and made it
hard to breathe. Otherwise known as not having a
great run…..and I even had an energy gel. Think it
was faulty though – certainly didn’t give me any
energy!

Monday was loads better. I dropped Brian off for the
train at about 7:30, drove round to drop some juice
(and mini mars bars – they must have made all the
difference) off at strategic points and then parked
the car and started running. Started at Belhaven and
ran up the back road, through Winterfield Park, down
the coast and round the golf course. I then headed
out through John Muir Country Park (detour to West
Barnes as the bridge was down and back into the park)
and along to the North Berwick Road. I then (rather
cleverly) followed the John Muir sign post through the
field, rather than taking a chance with my life on the
North Berwick road. Don’t know how long the sign
post has been there but clearly I’ve missed this whole
path thing for quite some time. Niftily it takes you
under the North Berwick road and to the path alongside
the Tyne that I normally run along. I then crossed at
the bridge at the ford at Knowes, ran up to Lawhead
and down through Smeaton to East Linton. From there I
ran back along the Tyne (and clever field path),
through John Muir but up at the first set of farms to
the old A1. Then up round Hedderwick, under A1, North
Belton, John Muir Country Park, left at farms to muddy
field thing, round usual route to Belhaven (detour
West Barnes – bridge totally not across river at that
point) and halfway round golf course to finish. Did
pretty well, not many stops, no walking (except the
hill at the golf course at the end but for health and
safety reasons) and felt pretty good. Had to use Ian
as my new inspiration and motivation to keep moving
through – had to keep thinking near the end, if Ian
can run 50 miles I can run another couple….

Tuesday though I was knackered. And I got to run with
Anne – who even at her most knackered will be well
faster than me on Tuesday night runs. And Clarissa –
who would have been a bit handicapped if running,
seeing as she hasn’t done any in the past 10 months,
but no she was helpfully assisted by her bike. Anyway
kept it short (but not sweet as there were hills
involved.) Up through trees to Eweford, right at the
fork, up past houses (Pleasance?) and through grassy
field (again cleverly signposted but I did know that
this route existed) to Wester Broomhouse. Then ran
down to Spott roundabout, through trees and back to
Halhill. Well far enough for my weary legs.

Wednesday – legs even wearier than yesterday. Watched
tele.

Thursday – intervals. Ian seems to have recovered
from his 50 miler (came 3rd so maybe not quite so mad
to enter after all, although after Thurday's session I
still have some question over his mental state). We
had a lovely session of 4x400m, 4x200m, 4x400m,
4x200m. I cleverly sat out one the first of the
second set of 400m. I say cleverly because I ended
the 200m without being able to breathe very well, and
with quite short rest before the 400m so thought I
might end up knackering myself if I hadn’t. Also,
legs still pretty sore…..and I had a race on Sunday to
look forward too.

Friday – rest day. Did good level of carbo loading at
work (ie eating junk food ‘cos it was there)

Saturday – rest day. Ditto Friday.

Sunday – race day. Did the Glasgow 10k – quite like
the route as it’s a good one for PBs. Weather was
conducive to good times (ie it was not too warm, and
drizzly all the way). And I got a pb – need to wait
for the official times to come out though (so long as
chip worked).

Splits
1km 5.39
2km 5.24
3&4km 10.21 (ie average 5.10 each)
5km 5.23
6km 5.23
7km 5.09
8km 5.11
9km 5.08
10km 5.09

Annoying things
– getting bunched in at the beginning (but that could
work as a good race ploy – ensures you don’t get away
too fast),
– the last km has changed so actually big long stretch
of uphill (well ish – as much as it gets in Glasgow
flat races, but still not a good place to stuff a hill
in)
– not beating the girl I really wanted to beat to the
finish. I passed her on the final km but she passed
me going on the uphill (ish) bit
– coffee shop near Glasgow Green took about 10 mins to
make four very expensive, quite crap takeaway coffees

Fantastic things
- getting a pb!!!!!! (previous pb 54.05 from this
route last year, this one 52.52 – although will have
to check the official times)
- running a negative split 26:49 for the first half,
26.03 for the second – the way it should be done
- legs feeling pretty good most of the way and having
a comfortable run (although obviously not that
comfortable)
- having by chance read something in a magazine (not a
running one) about ensuring your shoulders are relaxed
back and down when running, not tensed up, as this
will really help your breathing. (it works – wish
someone had told me that ages ago)
- having to try to figure out how to beat this time!


___________________________________________________________
Try the all-new Yahoo! Mail. "The New Version is radically easier to use" – The Wall Street Journal
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html


Comments:
Another PB. Well done.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?