Saturday, November 18, 2006

Back to normality................unfortunately

Well back to normality I guess. After a nice week of
not running (but working out in the gym and pool at
Cardrona, Peebles, I had to get back to the task of
running.

My first run after the marathon was the rather
uninspiring run around town on Tuesday 7th November.
Fay and I were both late because of the trains, and I
had picked Sheila Kerr up so we headed out for a light
trot around Dunbar. We took it very easy as Fay had
been ill and Sheila has been on a boat for months, so
no running for her. We ran from Halhill, down to
Shore Road, up Back Road, along by the Harbour and
back via Countess Road to Halhill.

On Wednesday I did some lunges, squats and stretches
in the vague hope of sorting my knees out. Not
working – although my quads are painful for about 2
days after doing them so I guess there probably is a
muscle imbalance there somewhere….

Thursday the 9th I went to intervals – brave woman.
Did an easy session though – did 2x800m, 1x400m,
2x800m. Should have really been 5x1km, but timewise I
would have just had to have keep running round and
round. 800m was ok, but the 400m in the middle was
probably gave a nice breather…

Saturday the 11th I just did a wee 6 miler from East
Links car park through John Muir and cross over the A1
to Hedderwick/North Belton etc, coming back into John
Muir and back to the car.

And then….on Sunday for some reason I agreed to do the
Goat’s Gallop. Sheila M, Val, Fiona and I made the
sensible decision to set off 30 minutes earlier than
the rest of the crowd. Good move as this meant there
was no pressure to finish quickly and actually most of
the runners came in at around the same time. It also
allowed us to have a nice relaxing climb up the hill
and wander round the cairn to have a look at the
plaque. Lunch at Goblin Ha’ followed – good fun. We
were slower this year than last, but I definitely
enjoyed the experience a lot more.

Monday 13th – my first time back at pilates in ages.
Felt pretty tough – especially the plank and the inner
thigh manoeuvres.

Tuesday 14th – another town run. This time I did the
full effort – Halhill to West Barnes, looped round, up
Back Road, swimming pool, round harbour, along the
back roads to Walker Homes, round there and back onto
Spott road, down Kellie Road and back to Halhill.
Felt ok, although we weren’t going that fast. Could
feel pain in my stomach muscles all the way though –
pilates…..

Thursday 16th – intervals again. Well at least I’m
right back in there. This week was 6.5mins for each
interval and we had to choose between 800m or 1200m.
Val, Fiona and I opted for 800m until the last one
where we did the full 1200m. Wise choice considering
the leading men doing the full 1200m were only about
10-15 seconds behind us. Val was being a hard task
master too (and now I find out that she was sick all
week too!). Val kept making us take a second off the
first lap (ok so we started at 2:06 for the first one
and then 1:58, 1:57 and 1:56 for the next ones) but it
hopefully did me some good. I’m feeling quite
sluggish at present – feel like running marathon speed
(ie very slow) all the time!

And today – headed out with Sheila M and Val this am
to do a loop from Belhaven, through John Muir and over
A1 to Hedderwick, North Belton etc and back to John
Muir. We then crossed over to the beach to get back
over the bridge to Belhaven, although unfortunately
had to double back on ourselves as the bridge was
inaccessible – a bit of a bugger really. But we made
it in the end.

Have got my photos from Dublin – they are cool. Will
need to get together with Sheila to write the piece
for the club newsletter now.


___________________________________________________________
To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?