Wednesday, January 17, 2007

don't try to run in a head wind!

Well what have I been up to this week? After last
Sunday’s not so good run I decided to take it easy on
the Tuesday – it was good though as it was Karen’s
first time back at the club after having Aidan and
also Lindsay was back to trot round after rehab-ing
due to her dodgy knee. (see she’s sensible and takes
time off – I just stick my head in the sand and hope
it’ll go away!) We ran round town taking a few wee
short cuts here and there but the run itself felt
quite enjoyable.

On Thursday we had the choice between 600m or 800m in
4min30secs. We had to do 8 reps. Karen made the
sensible choice of doing 400m. Clarissa and I made it
up as we went along. I did 2x600m, 1x400m, 2x600m,
2x400m, 1x800m. I totally made it up. Also instead
of running 600m around the track and then walking to
the start, I ran approx 500m round the track, turned
round and ran back to the start to cut out on the
walking across the track bit. Cunning huh? (not sure
Ian thought so…..)

At the weekend I didn’t have such a great time with
the running…wind, wind and more wind. I’m sure it was
some conspiracy – the weather reports (I know I
shouldn’t believe them) said Sunday would be nice and
calm and dry so I thought I’d leave my long run until
then. So Saturday I headed out for 6 miles or so in
the last hour of daylight so did a wee bit of country
(round Eweford and into West Barnes, along Biel and
the dump road and then up Back Road and round town).
It was very, very windy when running around Eweford,
but managed to get a bit of shelter when running
through town.

On Sunday I wasn’t very well organised so headed out
at about 1:30 after having breakfast about 10:30 and
nothing else (well apart from about 6 toffifee’s that
I have left from Christmas). My pre run fuelling
proved to be far from ideal….I ran from East Links
through John Muir to West Barns, up to Eweford. From
there I ran up to Wester Broomhouse, down the closed
road, up to Spott, round to the second ford and down
to Pitcox. Nearly all the way was a very strong head
wind, which almost blew me back down the hills I was
struggling to get up! For some reason I decided to
struggle ontowards Stenton, head down towards Biel
Mill and across via Beesknowe to come out at the Biel,
Hedderwick and North Belton Road. Then I crossed over
the road and ran through the John Muir Park back to
East Links. I think the route was about 13 miles but I
certainly didn’t manage to run all of that – I totally
ran out of steam just about Biel Mill – I was
starving! Stomach rumbling and slight sick feeling
hungry not just my normal level of could eat a huge
plate of pasta hunger. I was soooooooo tired after as
well I nearly conked out at about 6:30! Running into
strong wind is just not a clever idea. Must plan my
route the next time to head out in a sheltered route
with the wind behind me for the run back!

And then Tuesday. I was having a bit of a transport
difficulty – having had a cancelled train at South
Gyle I then made my way to Edinburgh Park and got a
train to Edinburgh. I got into Waverley to see the
5:30 train heading out of the station. So then I got
the 6.05 train, which would mean that I would have to
drive home, change very quickly and head back down to
Dunbar. I texted Sheila so she could let me know if
anyone would hold on in case I was late. Then sod’s
law – the 6.05 was about 10 minutes late and then
followed a slow train out that stopped at every stop
on the way! How annoying. Anyway made it to club in
time to catch Sheila at about 7:10 and went for about
a 4.5 mile run round town at a nice easy pace. At
least it worked to reduce my public transport rage
(sort of).


___________________________________________________________
Try the all-new Yahoo! Mail. "The New Version is radically easier to use" – The Wall Street Journal
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?