Saturday, July 05, 2008

i'm getting slagged

cos it's been ages and ages yet again.
Have i got a good reason? not really.  But didn't want to jinx anything cos................yup the running has been getting better.......long may it continue!
Key highlights of recent month (or so)
Dechmont Law 10km race - second time I've done this one and really enjoy it.  Think it's my favourite 10km. All run on trails and track, with a bit of a looped course but not annoying in the least.  Smallish field, bit cramped at times but really nice to run on something other than road and pavement and with the scenery not including houses.  Anyway did 55.45 official which was a couple of minutes slower than last year but probably the best 10km time I'd run since about July/August last year.  (well I was so hacked off after Glasgow 10km last year that I didn't even write the time in my log so guess it could still be quicker).  I'm waiting for Sheila and I to get a call about our indecent exposure - we needed to utilise some outdoor space pre run, as all runners do, but we were a bit close to some CCTV cameras at the time......
The day after Dechmont I ran with Sheila - she needed to do a long one before the Barrathon.  We did a lovely 12/13 mile loop that I had planned.  With a few hills but not as bad as I could have made it.  Good plan though as Sheila's slow pace is still faster than mine so I think I was working even harder.  Once finished I shovelled in some food as Sheila got changes and then I ran 5 miles with her middle Jog Scotland group.  I am so amazed that I managed it. 
Peebles 10km race - I find this one tough - no idea why.  Think it's because of the small field again and the fact I come somewhere near the back.  Anyway did 55.11 so faster than the week before and less than a minute slower than last year.  Also all of the ks where under 5.50 and with the exception of two the rest were under 5.40.  Very tired at the end.  Although whoever is updating the club championships better update my points - I get 4 for this as Mary was the only other Dunbar woman running.
Did the Mussleburgh summer series.  Twas hard work.  Bit slower than last year but not tooooooo bad.  30 secs or so. 
East Kilbride 10km race - the overall time was annoyingly disappointing.  The last two km's were crap but the rest of the race went very well so have to be please overall.  First km was slow as bunched up and hard to navigate round folks but after than was running under 5.30kms until midway (at which point I caught Sheila up and was feeling pretty good) and then it went a wee bit pete tong but still on for a good time until 8kms where a 1km long hill really tired me and made my km time go up to 6.30.  Eeeeek.  Anyway did just over 57 overall so not so bad I guess.  Please with the time up to 5 miles anyway as was under 45 mins. 
Did the 5km in the park with Sheila and her jog scotland mob.  Although less said the better I think!  I arrived in the park in my work clothes with about 20 mins until the start of the race, still needing to get my race number and chip and put my bag in and go to the toilet.  Not so good really.  Never rely on trains.  Never.  Had to do a bit of a striptease in the park (seem to be making a habit of this indecent exposure malarkey) and thought I might get in trouble as the police were standing watching me getting changed.  Had to improvise on the toilet point too.  Was a tad stressed when starting so lucky I finished as I did.  km times all ok (under 5.20) except the 4th one as I lost it a bit mentally at that point.  Never mind though.....still did about the same time as I did 2/3 years ago when I last ran this one. 
Last Sat was very warm and muggy so really struggled.  Had also decided on a not so easy route taking in Brunt hill, down to the ford at woodhall dean and up the other side and then running on to Thornton via Innerwick.  Got caught my Anne and Stuart stopped halfway up a hill. 
Anyway am persuading Brian to give it all a go again.  He's a natural.  Last Sunday I took him on a route that went halfway up the Brunt round towards Brunt house and over the Brunt hill via grass path and he managed the whole thing fine.  Hmmmmm.  I found it hard and I've been running it for ages.....
Did the Longniddry summer series on Tuesday - good route, haven't run it before which always helps.  Very warm and muggy so felt crap at the end but overall pretty pleased with my time and performance.
And today did 13 miles, with hills and felt ok for most of it.  Physically good until about 12 miles. Then v tired.  Mentally hated the bit from about 11 - had to go down to civilisation and run near cars and people.  I hate that.  Not what running in the country is all about at all.......


__________________________________________________________
Not happy with your email address?.
Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at Yahoo! http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/ymail/new.html


Comments:
Mr Sills is responsible for updating the Club Championship - letting it slide a bit and he's not the one who gets it in the neck...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?