Sunday, October 19, 2008

thought my blog was a jinx - until today

well that's a new excuse anyway for not writing for so long.
Been doing lots of races recently and most of them going ok/well and loads better than this time last year!  Will try to give some update on the most exciting bits......

just after my last update we did the Cafraemill to Gifford run.  Sheila, Jane and I all left early to ensure that we could finish before it was totally dark.  Felt loads better running without knowing I was wayyyyy behind all the others.  Good being in front.  Must say quite rude of Ian to run past us before the end - Brian Marshall showed much better manners by letting us finish first.  (in saying that he was about 45 ish minutes before us if you look at the times we all finished).  Time for a shower a bit of a disappointing tea - if you've read Stuart's blog I had the same potentially canned spaghetti with tomato sauce.  Some onion and cheese would have helped slightly.  Also main course + pudding.  I don't know but would much prefer more savoury food especially after a long run like that. 

Then had a bit of a run around Grantown that weekend - had taken Brian away for a night or two for his birthday treat.  Some fishing for him, some running for me, lots of food and lots of watching the Olympics for me.  (So much so that our room didn't get serviced as I don't think I left it for long enough!!!!  that was the weekend of lots of rowing and cycling medals though.)

Final summer series race on 19th August - not too far behind Sheila M which is my usual measure of how I'm running.  Sandra bet us both though!

On the sunday 24th Sheila M and I ran from Tyninghame and ran along up and over Traprain Law.  All because Frank wouldn't stop saying on the bus back from Braemar that Traprain was easier than Braemar.  (after a few beers).  I beg to differ.  There is no way I could run all that way.  Think the hills are defo harder. 

The next Sunday 31st August Sheila M and I did another long one.  Sheila moaned less than she had when I took her up Traprain. A little bit less anyway.

And then - the reason for the long runs - Glasgow Half Marathon on 7th September.  My first half marathon this year.  My first half marathon since the disasters which were Aviemore and Jedburgh last year which where by two slowest halfs (or is that halves?)  ever.  Wierd year 2007 - 2 fastest halfs/halves/whatever and the two slowest!  anyway luckily managed to follow Sheila round and did the route in 2.04.31.  A good bit faster than those worst halfs (somewhere halfway between the best and the worst - in fact closer to the best so I was pleased).

Followed by Stirling 10k on 14th September.  My best 10k for a while too - the only one under 55mins this year and managed to beat Sheila.  Although she wasn't feeling so well and probably still recovering from last week.  I was pleased with my time - 54.16.  Yeah. Good route, flat but scenic.  Felt fast too.  Brian did this one and got a pb.

Then Thirlestane 5 mile on the 21st - really like this run and the mix of on and off road.  Shame about the sheep shit.  Especially on new shoes.  Anyway = did 45.52 and think it was about a minute faster than last year (or so).  So going the right way.  Also felt good most of the way - mentally and physically. Another pb for Brian (surprise surprise)

Then Norham 10k on 28th - had managed to do some mental prep in advance to tell myself that it wasn't that hilly/undulating etc.  Started ok - althougth Sheila was off ahead by the 1 mile marker and Jane overtook somewhere between 1 and 2.  Managed 56.02 and was mildly disappointed as I was trying so hard to get 55 something, but equally was about a minute faster than last year (unlike Stuart et al).  Sheila 53.45 so she was about a minute faster than she had been in Stirling - I think she's better at these wee hilly courses.....  My back was sore at this one - my lower back/pelvis was out of alignment but didn't seem to bother me too much in the race which is a good thing. No pb for Brian but no surprise as he last set one for this distance two weeks ago on a flat as a pancake course.  He was only a few seconds off though......

Since then I had a lower mileage week, watched the Great North Run (glued to the screen to see how Jo Pavey would do), done a few flat runs through John Muir and round the farms, and also a couple of mental hilly runs up the Brunt/Daniels Brae etc etc

And today - did 10k in Scone in Perth.  Man it was hard.  Think I maybe wasn't mentally in the right place for a race, and also found the multi terrain difficult - the grass was fine, the mud ok but the lumpy stoney bits with pot holes hurt my wee gentle feet.  Anyway at points I thought I'd be doing well to get under an hour so actually was quite pleased with the 57mins dead I got at the end.  Brian as ever only a few seconds off his pb. Which on a flat road race would probably = a pb......

So thought maybe the blogging was a jinx on my times - they improved when I took a long break.  However.....didn't work today so thought that couldn't be the reason! 

Today is Amsterdam - have spied the times on the web already - well done to all!

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?